Facebook Twitter
Website Forum Archive All

The Plowden Arms

The historic Plowden Arms public house is currently closed and up for sale.

 

It is located in Shiplake village on the Reading Road at the junction with Plough Lane. 

 

It may have originally been called this name after the famous Elizabethan owners of Shiplake Court. It then for a time became the Plow Inn, later the Plough Inn and eventually its name was changed back to the Plowden Arms. There are records for the alehouse going back to at least 1749. It hosted the branch line agreement in 1853 attended by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

 

It is an important part of the Shiplake villages' heritage.